Summer Internships at the RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project (AIP), Japan.
RIKEN is one of Japan’s largest fundamental-research institutions.
The newly created RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project (AIP), headed by Prof. Masashi Sugiyama (the University of Tokyo), was created in 2016 to propose and investigate new machine learning methodologies and algorithms, and apply them to societal problems.
The center houses a large number of experts in machine learning and related fields (mathematics, optimization, statistics, life science, image processing, natural language processing, etc). The center’s headquarters and many of its teams are located in the Tokyo area, but many other teams are scattered over Japan (Kyoto, Nagoya, Osaka, Sendai, Kyushu etc).
The AIP Center is looking for internship students (Master or PhD) that will join its research effort for a maximum of 3 months in 2018. Summer months are supposed, but the dates can be flexible.
These internship students will join one of the teams presented in the center’s description, and carry out academic research once there. Doctor students that apply are encouraged to investigate research topics that may be of interest for both their home laboratory and their host team in AIP.
- Enrolled in an Israeli graduate school and have permission to do an internship at RIKEN AIP from the school.
Number of Openings
- 5 graduate students (Master or PhD)
Terms & Conditions
- Air ticket between Israel and Japan is covered by RIKEN. The dates of the ticket will correspond to the duration of the internship.
- Daily allowance of 3,000JPY per working day in addition to commuting allowance is provided.
- Housing allowance up to 3,500JPY per day is provided. RIKEN will help you find an economical hotel/apartment.
- Interested candidates are encouraged to apply before Nov. 30th, 2017.
- Send an email in English to email@example.com entitled “Application for RIKEN-AIP Internship ” containing the following elements:
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover letter / research statement (one A4 page)
- For master students: research interests, list of courses undertaken while enrolled in their master course, and, when available, links (pdf files) to memoirs written to validate these courses.
- For doctor students: description of current research and, if relevant, links to preprints or relevant memoirs.
- Ranked list of 3 teams/units in which the student would like to carry out the internship. Please explain this choice and detail in a few sentences why you think those teams would be a good fit with your background.
- Proposed dates for the internship (up to 3 months).
- In case of any need for a visa the applicant will be responsible to obtain it prior to arrival.
- For any further information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org